The New Zealand Disability Karate Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Autumn issue of the New Zealand Disability Karate Association newsletter.
The clocks have changed and the days are getting cooler, but we carry on training because the dojo is always bright and warm.
18th April is a very special day for the club. We turned four years old. Yes, it is our birthday!
Special Self-Defence Evening
On the 25th May we will hold a free self-defence class.
The class will start at 7pm and is open to anyone, so please invite your friends and family.
This is a practical class with lots of opportunities to try out many of the techniques.
There may be guest sensei from other karate clubs!
Now we are 4!
It is the club's 4th birthday! On the 18th April 2018 we opened the dojo doors for the first time. During that time 48 students have trained with us and we have run 365 classes.
On Wednesday 27th April we will have a special class celebrating our club birthday.
A massive thank you for making this club so special.
Who has graded?
There has been one grading since our last newsletter. We have three new yellow belts.
There are a couple of students who are likely to move up a grade before the next newsletter.
In our club there are now
- No white belts (10th kyu)
- 12 yellow belts (9th kyu)
- 1 orange belt (8th kyu)
- 4 green belts (7th kyu)
What is coming up
Our plans for the next quarter
- Complete the second book in the Rainbro series.
- Complete the update of the syllabus for the new grades and weapons training. There has been no progress on this as it is not needed for a while.
- Finish work on the new information pack for schools and local businesses.
- Review the incident response plan with club members.
- We are targeting businesses around Wellington for funding support.
- Our 2021 annual report for Charities Services was submitted on time.
- Have a stall at a local disability show. The show was originally scheduled for last November, but was delayed due to COVID.
- Run our first self-defence class.
- Remember you can invite your friends along to class.
Rainbro's First Grading
The second book in the the Rainbro series, "Rainbro's First Grading" is on track to be published at the end of June.
This will be in time for the next newsletter.
As with the first book, copies in the dojo will sold at the special price of $15.
Book three will be out in time for Christmas and will continue Rainbro's adventures as Rainbro competes in tournament.
Wellington Children's Hospital
We have donated canvas prints of the first three Rainbro book covers. These will be sold at auction to raise funds for the Wellington Children's Hospital.
We hope that they will make lots of money for the hospital.
Look out for the Winter issue and feel free to share this newsletter with your friends.
Membership is free and open to anyone who wishes to take part in the martial arts training offered by the club. All the details are on our website. www.karatedojo.nz