The New Zealand Disability Karate Association Newsletter
Welcome to the Spring issue of the New Zealand Disability Karate Association newsletter.
Oh no! This is the last newsletter of 2022. What a year we have had, lots of new grades and lots of new friends to do karate with.
And the year is not over. There are still 10 classes until Christmas including two special classes.
Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse
On the 26th October we will have our Halloween class. Remember to dress up in your favourite Halloween costume.
Can you survive the Zombie Apocalypse? Is your karate strong enough to hold back the hordes of prowling zombies? Can you defeat a zombie with a single strike?
Come to class and find out if you are a survivor or a snack.
See if you can spot the T-Rex. Find out if dinosaurs can do kata!
There will be gooey lollies and ghostly games.
Who has graded?
There has been one grading since our last newsletter. We have two new orange belts.
We have 8 new members, who are likely to grade to yellow belt before the end of the year. There are a couple of students who are likely to grade to orange belt before the end of November.
In our club there are now
- 8 white belts (10th kyu)
- 10 yellow belts (9th kyu)
- 4 orange belts (8th kyu)
- 4 green belts (7th kyu)
What is coming up
Our plans for next year
- Publish the third book in the Rainbro series.
- Approach local bookshops to see if they would consider selling the Rainbro series.
- Complete the update of the syllabus for the new grades and weapons training. There has been no progress on this as it is not needed for a while.
- Finish work on the new information pack for schools and local businesses.
- Sumbit a request for a funding grant from the Halburg Foundation.
- Submit a funding application to the Wellington Community Trust. They have generously supported us over the last couple of years.
- Run our second self-defence class for the local community.
- Have a stand at the Armageddon Expo in April 2023 to enable us to promote the Rainbro books and the club.
- We are working on our 2022 annual report for Charities Services, which is due in April 2023.
- Remember you can invite your friends along to class.
Remember to RING
For those who were unable to attend the last self-defence class remember the word RING.
- Elbow the ribs.
- Stomp the instep.
- Headbut the nose.
- Thump the groin.
Only do this if your have no other choice. Never do this at school, to your friends or family.
If you want to find out more come along to the next self-defence class in the New Year.
Special Christmas Class
On Wednesday 14th December we will have our Christmas class. There will be lots of games and fun.
There will be presents, lollies and Christmas crackers.
This will be our last class of the year.
Look out for the Summer issue and feel free to share this newsletter with your friends.
Membership is free and open to anyone who wishes to take part in the martial arts training offered by the club. All the details are on our website. www.karatedojo.nz